Tuesday, September 19, 2006

For Alison

When I first started this blog I told myself that I would not put my image on it. Notice no photo in my profile? Come to think of it there isn't much in my profile. I will have to fix that soon. Anyway, my daughter Alison asked me to put an image of myself on the blog and I couldn't say no. I took a few shots of myself and didn't like any of them. Then I got an idea to try something that I've seen a couple of photographers do...Mount a camera to the car and take a few pictures while driving down the road. As a photographer I try a lot of different things. Things that I think of myself and things that I see other photographers do that I think would be cool to try and this was one of them. Alison's request gave me the chance to do it.


Here is the first shot I took. This was just a test shot to make sure I had everything connected properly. I would hate to get on the road and find out that I had the Pocketwizards set to the wrong channels or the camera settings were wrong, although during the course of this little shoot I did stop the car a few times to change settings....not that they were "wrong" but to get the effect I wanted. In this shot, it looks a lot darker than it actually was. I had to underexpose the ambient so that the inside of the car would stand out.



I took over 100 shots while driving home. Here are 2 shots that I took while I was on the road. They turned out OK I guess. Wish I could have hit a spot on the way with tons of lights. What do you think?

Wish I could say that this went off without a hitch but......Let's just say that the hood of my car still closes, the camera still works and the Pocketwizard that was attached to the camera still works but I will have to send it in to get the foot fixed on it. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will not leave the safety cables and bungee cords at home.

Alison, email me when you check the blog. I love you. Talk to you later.

6 Comments:

At September 19, 2006 1:38 PM , Blogger TRM said...

Those arer pretty cool.

 
At September 19, 2006 7:32 PM , Blogger Wingnut said...

Kewl Rolland! Way fun, what an idea and a gutsy move with the camera, I don't think I could have done it!

 
At September 20, 2006 4:07 PM , Blogger Craig Mitchelldyer said...

nice...but what you should have done is have someone better looking drive the car, while you hide in the backseat. :)

 
At September 20, 2006 5:23 PM , Blogger Richard Uhlhorn said...

Gotta agree with Craig on this one. Cool stuff Roland.

 
At September 21, 2006 5:03 AM , Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Impressive!!! I'm curious...what kind of camera did you use for these shots? I shuddered when I thought of attaching my 30D to my hood, braking suddenly and watching in fly of into oblivion! :D

 
At September 23, 2006 5:16 PM , Blogger Allen Morris said...

Very Cool Roland. :) Now I see why you're the favorite photographer for us in the lab.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home